The VectorWorks project just started our second year in October and we are so pleased at all the amazing work that the project has completed. In addition to our two large projects in Tanzania and Ghana, VectorWorks is continually adding to our portfolio with new countries and activities in an effort to reduce the burden of malaria.
Building on the work of the NetWorks project, VectorWorks is working to test and improve mechanisms for delivering insecticide treated nets (ITNs) at a scale to reach and sustain universal coverage and to promote their consistent use.
Over the first year of the project we had many noteworthy achievements; here are some of those highlights:
- Distributed 500,000 ITNs through 1,919 schools in Tanzania
- Distributed 5.6 million ITNs through Antenatal Clinics (ANC), Expanded Program for Immunization (EPI), and Point Mass Distribution channels in Ghana
- Trained 552 people in Tanzania and 6,904 people in Ghana for ITN distribution
- Published peer reviewed journal articles on ITN durability and outdoor sleeping
- Added beautiful, high-res images of ITN distribution to Photoshare
- Launched our Quarterly Vector Control Updates
In the next year, we look forward to continuing our work throughout the world on ITN durability monitoring, school distribution, and much more.
Happy New Year!